Saturday, December 11, 2010

Give me 100 words to make me sound smart.

Check this out. I downloaded this from (ask.com) & (Publishers & Writers.com)


Give me 100+ big words that would make me sound smart.

I need 100 words in either high school, college or a higher level just so I can sound smart. It is a kind-of weird idea but I'm bored and thought I'd have a word.
Best answers:
accolade
acrimony
angst
anomaly
antidote
avant-garde
baroque
bona fide
boondoggle
bourgeois
bravado
brogue
brusque
byzantine
cacophony
camaraderie
capricious
carte blanche
Catch-22
caustic
charisma
cloying
déjà vu
dichotomy
dilettante
disheveled
élan
ennui
epitome
equanimity
equivocate
esoteric
euphemism
fait accompli
fastidious
faux pas
fiasco
finagle
Freudian slip
glib
gregarious
harbinger
hedonist
heresy
idiosyncratic
idyllic
indelicate
infinitesimal
insidious
junket
kitsch
litany
lurid
Machiavellian
malaise
malinger
mantra
maudlin
mercenary
minimalist
misnomer
narcissist
nirvana
non sequitur
nouveau riche
oblivion
ogle
ostentatious
ostracize
panacea
paradox
peevish
perfunctory
philistine
precocious
propriety
quid pro quo
quintessential
red herring
revel
rhetoric
scintillating
spartan
stigma
stoic
suave
Svengali
sycophant
teetotaler
tête-à-tête
tirade


tryst
ubiquitous
unrequited
untenable
vicarious
vile
waft
white elephant

Many people think that they sound smarter when they use big words. The truth of the matter is that smart communicators use words that (a) they understand and (b) their readers are likely to understand.

The purpose of writing is to communicate. Communication is the process by which meaning is created and exchanged. If the person who reads your writing doesn’t understand what you are trying to say, no communication occurs when he or she reads your writing.

In order to communicate effectively, you have to use language properly, and you have to use language that people are likely to understand.
tLately I have noticed many people misusing the word “detrimental” when what they really mean is “instrumental” or “important.” For example, I read a memo that someone wrote requesting permission to attend a meeting. The memo said, “It is detrimental that I go to the meeting next week.”

Ironically, the misuse of the word implies the exact opposite of what the person meant. Detrimental implies that some negative outcome would be associated with the person’s attendance at the meeting. What the writer meant was “important.”
zealous A misused big word has the opposite effect of making you sound smart! A big word used correctly, but unnecessarily, has the effect of making you sound pedantic. If you have to go get a dictionary to see what “pedantic” means, I have made my point!

Today I pulled up an article on politics and Christianity. I could hardly understand it because of all the words I didn't know. Is it me or did I miss out on all the extra smart words people are using these days.< I know for a fact I have been the person this writer (above) is talking about, more then once. I use words out of context all the time. I think some of it is just the fact that I don't think before I speak. However I do believe that in some cases, there are people out there that are to smart for the common good.

For now I am going to have to start looking up some of these words writers are using now. ^ Cause I'm not following.

 Count to see how many of the words from above you actually use. Then post a comment and let me know what your score is. (I found this list on multiple sites.)

No comments:

Post a Comment